scanimage still indicates error during device I/O

From: Ivan Milosavljevic (milosavl@ecn.purdue.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 21:17:08 PDT

    Hello,

    I am running the 2.4.6 kernel and sane-backends 1.05. As with
    sane-backends 1.04 I immediately get the following error when I type
    "scanimage -d hp:/dev/scanner" as root:

    scanimage: open of device hp:/dev/scanner failed: Error during device I/O

    I get no sound from the scanner, no light, nothing other than the error
    message on the screen. If I reboot with the 2.2.18 kernel everything
    works fine. I am not sure
    whether there is still a timeout issue as with 1.04, but I do see that
    sanei_scsi.c has timeout commands everywhere. The line,
    "req->sgdata.sg3.hdr.timeout = 1000 * 60 * 10;" is present in
    sanei_scsi.c. Sane-find-scanner indicates the following:

    sane-find-scanner: found processor "HP C2520A 3644" at device /dev/scanner

    which seems to indicate a scanner (HP6100C) at /dev/scanner. I am really
    getting frustrated at this point, but the problem must be with sane and
    the 2.4 kernel. Does anybody have any ideas on what to try next?

    Thanks,

    Ivan Milos