Re: Mustek 1200ub on FreeBSD (Second Mail)

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (henning@meier-geinitz.de)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 11:45:03 PDT

    On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 07:19:40PM +0200, Jeffrey Eugene Crawford wrote:
    > I'm trying to get my Mustek 1200ub USB scanner running on my FreeBSD
    >
    > installation. The first obstacle I've had was to get my scanner away
    > from being "/dev/ugen0" to "/dev/uscanner0" In order to do this I had to

    The simple way should be to put /dev/ugen0 into
    /usr/local/etc/sane.d/1200ub.conf.

    > I had used the source code from Mustek's ftp site and compiled it
    > manually, and installed it. I did not provided the "./configure" script
    > with any options. After the installation I have updated the following
    > files to read...
    >
    > ...sane.d/dll.conf:
    > 1200ub

    That is /usr/local/etc/sane.d/dll.conf?

    > ...sane.d/1200ub.conf:
    > /dev/uscanner0

    If your kernel scanner driver accepts this device that's ok.

    > Unfortunately I can't find a "sane-1200ub" manpage to see if there are
    > any other options.

    There isn't any manpage and As far as I know there aren't any options.

    > running "usbdevs" I get:
    > addr 1: UHCI root hub, VIA
    > addr 2: 1200 UB scanner, Mustek Systems, Inc.
    >
    > and then running "scanimage -L" I get :
    > entering sane_get_devices.
    > attached /dev/uscanner0
    > device `1200ub:/dev/uscanner0' is a 1200 UB flatbed scanner
    > scanimage in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense.
    >
    > The above warning message about the "free" function having a pointer
    > that is too high to make sense is the only negative message that I get.

    Try with debugging enabled:

    SANE_DEBUG_1200UB=255 scanimage -L

    > However when trying to test the scanner or even use it with either
    > commands "scanimage -T", or "xscanimage", the little light on the
    > scanner comes on and then the program hangs at the command prompt. No
    > error messages or core dumps, just sits and does nothing.

    Maybe some incompatible USB handling between Linux and FreeBSD?
    Something concerning maximum size of a "block" that can be transfered
    at once? Just guessing...

    > Please note that the scanner works in Linux doing nearly the exact same
    > installation, the only exception is that "xscanimage" is installed as a
    > Gimp plugin, however the "xscanimage" does work by itself. I'm not sure
    > if the problem lies with FreeBSD's USB scanner driver or with the driver
    >
    > by Mustek. Has anyone examined the code and found anything that is Linux
    >
    > specific?

    I'm pretty sure that the programmers didn't test on FreeBSD. I 'm
    currently trying to rewrite this code to get it into SANE: I will try
    on FreeBSD, too, but I have just startet so this can take quite some
    time. And i must install a FreeBSD which supports USB...

    Bye,
      Henning