portable scanner - Canoscan N1220U

From: Phil Cummins (cummins@xochitl.hq.jamstec.go.jp)
Date: Thu May 31 2001 - 23:48:44 PDT

    Hello,

      Some time ago I asked about portable scanners that work
    with SANE, but received no response, so I hope it's OK to
    try again with more specific info. What I need is a scanner
    that is small and light enough to pack with my notebook into
    a carry-on bag, take it the site were the documents I want
    to scan are, plug it into my laptop and do my scans. A small
    flat-bed rather than one of these hand-held things is
    preferable.
       After looking around a bit it seems to me that the
    Canoscan N1220U is just right (small, light, with only a
    single USB connection). However, SANE's Canon back-end web
    page seems to indicate this is not supported and that indeed
    there are no plans to support USB Canon scanners. Can
    someone please confirm that?
      If that's true, can someone please recommend other scanning
    software that works with Linux and might support this scanner,
    or do they know of a similar light-weight scanner that works
    with SANE?
      Many thanks.