Re: SANE CVS snapshot (2001-05-27) available

From: Jochen Eisinger (jochen.eisinger@gmx.de)
Date: Mon May 28 2001 - 13:52:42 PDT

    Hi!

    Some FreeBSD user pointed this out to me earlier... you have to lock the file
    /dev/io in order to use inb/outb.

    In a future release of the sanei_pa4s2 interface, this mechanism will
    be included.

    regards
    -- jochen

    [stef]

    > On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 09:07:04PM +0200, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > > (2) Running scanimage results in bus error. gdb reveals: umax_pp_low.c line 80,
    > > > Inb (port: 890).
    > >
    > > Fixed. Or more exactly: Disabled umax_pp for FreeBSD. It looks like
    > > FreeBSD dumps core because inb is used without prior ioperm. However,
    > > HAVE_IOPERM is not defined, so the ioperm part wasn't compiled in. I
    > > have added a && defined HAVE_IOPERM before using the inb etc.
    > > assembler statements. If anyone knows enough about programming ioports
    > > under FreeBSD please have a look at this and fix it correctly.
    > >
    > I'm pretty puzzled with that, 'Inb (port: 890)' means access to CONTROL port.
    > If the failure was due to lack of permission to do direct I/O, the umax_pp should
    > have failed with the very first access to parport which is Inb (0x378).
    > Inb(0x37A) is only the third I/O. So I find it strange. A larger part of the
    > gdb backtrace would be helpful.
    >

    > Regards,
    > Stef

    Fear and loathing, my man, fear and loathing.
    		-- H.S. Thompson

    [This is a signature virus, please copy me into your signature file!]