[Fwd: [Fwd: [BUG] Epson 1640SU, xsane preview problem]]]

From: Jean-Luc Coulon (jean-luc.coulon@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sun May 27 2001 - 03:19:06 PDT

    attached mail follows:

    Hi Karl Heinz and Oliver

    Karl Heinz Kremer wrote:

    > On Sat, May 26, 2001 at 09:26:11PM +0200, Jean-Luc Coulon wrote:
    > > Hi Karl Heinz
    > >

    > > Karl Heinz Kremer wrote:
    > > >
    > > > You've probably seen the black line at the top and left
    > > > edge yourself... I have no idea where this is comming from.
    > > > You sent me a preview created by XSane, can you please
    > > > make a "real" scan in the preview resolution - which is
    > > > either 50 or 72 dpi. If you want to be sure, you can
    > > > enable the debug mode for the EPSON backend and look
    > > > for the "SANE_START" lines:
    > > >
    > > I've not seen this line. It is a bit strange, I cannot load the file in
    > > The Gimp (it said that brightness has an incorrect value...)
    > >
    > > > export SANE_DEBUG_EPSON=5
    > > > xsane > /tmp/scan.log 2>&1
    > > >
    > > You will find attached :
    > > 1 - the part of the debug log saying my preview resolution is 50
    > > 2 - a scan "full size" of the same CD jacket as you got previously
    > > (real scan, 50 dpi)
    > > 3 - a scan of a corner at 600dpi.
    >
    > I loaded the pnm file in xv, converted it to TIFF and then used Gimp
    > to look at it. I've attached the TIFF file to this mail (just in
    > case you don't have access to xv).
    >
    > Regarding the 600 dpi image: Is it possible that you misunderstood
    > what I wanted? Probably because you've never seen the black
    > lines. I requested a scan of the upper left corner of the glass, not
    > of the CD jacket, the black lines are not around the image of the CD,
    > they are around the edge of the scan - and they do show up on the
    > 50 dpi scan as well.

    Ok, I misunderstood....
    I've xv (useful to build preview icons in pictures directories).

    I've seen the black border... And finally, I managed to find who is the
    culprit.
    The lid of the scanner has a white glossy plastic sheet on foam, it is a
    bit small (or slighlty misaligned, I think too small). And what we can
    see is the grey plastic frame that support the white sheet...

    I think this can explain the problem. I have done more tests with
    several white paper sheets stacked. It is better but not 100% yet :
    often, the right and left lines are at 2cm apart of the document.

    I can survive with this but I will ask Epson if I can have the lid
    repaired. But, anyway the lid can move slightly : it is not "heavy
    metal" ! As the scanner has still warranty, I think they have to do
    that. Ermmm... ;-)