[EPSON / Generic USB] New backend - please test with SCSI scanners / New USB Query Feature

From: Karl Heinz Kremer (khk@khk.net)
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 19:30:16 PDT

    I just put up a test version of the EPSON backend. It adds support
    for the GT-8000 scanner in the standard backend distribution - so far
    this was only available as a patch agains the backend. If you have any
    EPSON SCSI scanner, please download this backend and give it a try. It
    works for me, but I've tested it just with one model. The backend also
    has experimental (and disabled) support for automatically recognizing
    USB scanners. You need a patched version of the USB scanner driver for
    this. The patch needs to be applied to the scanner.c file of a recent
    (2.4.4 or similar) version of the kernel. In addition you have to enable
    the new functionality by adding the following line to the file epson.c:

    #define TEST_IOCTL

    This feature enables the backend to get information about the connected
    scanner before it sends data to the scanner. It is fairly common that
    a backend tries to send data to a scanner without knowing that the
    scanner can actually be handled by this backend. Sometimes the backend
    not just sends data, it also wants to see a response. This of course
    will fail if the scanner does not even understand the command. My kernel
    patch adds two IOCTLs to the scanner driver that can be used to get
    the vendor and product ID of a connected scanner without having to
    send data to the device. With these IOCTLs the backend can query the
    type and manufacturer of a scanner and then decide if it makes sense
    to actually send data to the device.

    I've submitted this patch to David Nelson for inclusion into the
    USB scanner driver, but have not received any response so far.

    Karl Heinz