Re: SORTED: Hope you don't mind a HELP-ME! post?

From: Rupert Heesom (raheesom@navpoint.com)
Date: Sun May 13 2001 - 13:46:57 PDT

    On 13 May 2001 19:24:27 +0200, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > > [rupert@localhost sane]$SANE_DEBUG_DLL=255
    > > [rupert@localhost sane]$export SANE_DEBUG_DLL
    > > [rupert@localhost sane]$export SANE_DEBUG_UMAX=255
    > > [rupert@localhost sane]$export SANE_DEBUG_V4L=255
    > > [rupert@localhost sane]$xsane
    > > [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of dll to 255.
    > > [dll] exiting
    >
    > That probably means that dll.conf is empty or couldn't be found. I'm
    > quite sure that you have a libsane.so in /usr/lib which is called by
    > xscanimage. As all the configuration files in /etc/sane.d are deleted
    > (and no libraries in /usr/lib/sane) dll just fails.

    Looking at it now, you're right. /usr/lib had a libsane.so.1.0.4, with
    libsane.so.1 as a link to it.

    I take it from what you're saying that /usr/lib shouldn't have any sane
    libs in it, and /usr/local/lib should have the lib files instead?

    My /usr/local/lib does have several sane libs in it -

    [rupert@localhost lib]$pwd
    /usr/local/lib
    [rupert@localhost lib]$ls -l libsane*
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 189792 May 10 10:52 libsane.a
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 664 May 10 10:52 libsane.la
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 May 10 10:52 libsane.so ->
    libsane.so.1.0.4
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 May 10 10:52 libsane.so.1 ->
    libsane.so.1.0.4
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 82973 May 10 10:52 libsane.so.1.0.4

    Should I take the /usr/lib directory out of my /etc/ld.so.conf file? -

    [rupert@localhost sane]$cat /etc/ld.so.conf
    /usr/X11R6/lib
    /usr/lib/qt-2.2.0/lib
    /usr/lib/qt-2.2.1/lib
    /usr/lib
    /usr/lib/qt-1.45/lib
    /usr/kerberos/lib
    /usr/local/lib

    ===> STOP PRESS: Henning, you're helped me sort it out. Instead of
    waiting for your response to the above questions, I tried to use my head
    again. I renamed the sane lib files in /usr/lib, commented out the
    /usr/lib directory in /etc/ld.so.conf, reran ldconfig.

    Suddenly xsane sprang into life! I've scanned an image in & copied an
    image successfully now. All up and running (except for the faxing side,
    which doesn't seem to work, and never has worked for me).

    So my system was actually quite messed up! And I didn't have any idea
    what the "system" of files is supposed to look like. I think I'll now
    delete those libsanes in /usr/lib.....

    Excellent; thanks for all your patient help, Henning!!

    I was HOPING that this was going to be a simple config thing that I
    didn't know anything about!

    I think I need to learn more about how Linux operates with those
    libraries! That would help me in future!

    --
    regs
    rupert