Re: Hope you don't mind a HELP-ME! post?

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (henning@meier-geinitz.de)
Date: Sat May 12 2001 - 03:21:44 PDT

    On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 11:31:56AM -0400, Rupert Heesom wrote:
    > In my /usr/local/etc/sane.d/dll.conf file there's only a list of what
    > looks like scanner makes. I have all of the lines, except for the "umax"
    > line commented out. However I'm not getting far enough with the lack of
    > xsane & xscanimage loading for this to be a problem! How is v4l usually
    > listed in the dll.conf file?

    An excerpt of the dll.conf from CVS:
    [...]
    tamarack
    umax
    #umax_pp
    v4l

    If the error message in syslog is printed even when v4l is commented
    out your SANE installation may be defective. Probably some of the
    frontends load v4l directly.

    An idea: Are you sure that don't have "/usr/local/lib/sane" in
    /etc/ld.so.conf? This may result in such problems. Only
    "/usr/local/lib" should be listed there.

    What's the output of "ls -l /usr/local/lib/libsane*"?

    > Well, the relevant part of the FAQ said this, but I couldn't find the
    > file/content that it was referring to. I assume the
    > "sanei/sanei_scsi.c" is a source file in the 2.4 kernel tree. I could
    > not find this file using the command ....

    It's in the SANE sourcode (sane-backends-1.0.4/sanei/sanei_scsi.c).

    > Like you, I don't think that's the problem either. xsane/xscanimage
    > isn't getting that far.

    What's the output with debugging turned on:

    SANE_DEBUG_DLL=255 SANE_DEBUG_UMAX=255 SANE_DEBUG_V4L=255 xsane

    > > Set the debug level of your backend, not the debug level of xscanimage.
    >
    > Well, after looking at some man pages, I set up the env var
    > SANE_DEBUG_UMAX=128. Then tried xsane, xscanimage & scanimage.
    > Scanimage was the only program which reported a full set of msgs. The
    > other just reported the same as before (virtually nothing).

    That means that the umax backend wasn't loaded at all. Please check
    again with the two debugging variables set (see above).

    > I even tried adding more specs to the /usr/local/etc/sane.d/umax.conf
    > file.

    Doesn't help if umax isn't loaded. The file is read by the umax backend.

    Bye,
      Henning