Xsane - winsane? was Re: saned won't run under inetd

From: Morten Sickel (Morten.Sickel@nrpa.no)
Date: Thu May 10 2001 - 23:14:34 PDT

    Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
    >Hi,

    >On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 01:39:32PM +0200, Morten Sickel wrote:
    >> I have just installed sane 1.0.4 on a HP 712 running HP-UX 10.20. If
    works
    >> just fine

    >Does dynamic loading of the SANE libraries work? I'm asking because we
    >have an entry on http://panda.mostang.com/sane/sane-support.html
    >indicating dynamic loading isn't working.
    No problems as far as I can see, I just used the standard ./configure
    without any modification, but HP-UX in not the easies OS to handle shared
    libraries with.

    >Any problems with compilation?
    HPs make had problems with some of the Makefiles, when I swithced to gmake,
    all went well, this should be mentioned in the readme.HP-UX, along the lines
    of:
    HPs make utility may have problems with some of the Makefiles, if it
    complains about missing sparators, please try gmake.

    (It could be that under no circumstances HS make will work, but I have only
    tried it on one machine)

    >Which compiler was used?
    gcc v 2.95.2

    >I don't know why this [saned craches under inetd] happens. Petter and me
    >fixed some possible bugs concerning networking in the last week but I don't
    >know if this is related. There is a current CVS snapshot at
    >http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/sane-cvs-2001-05-10.tar.gz if you
    >like to test.

    Would like to, but according to gcc:

    In file included from isfdtype.c:1:
    ../include/sane/config.h:391: warning: function declaration isn't a
    prototype
    ../include/sane/config.h:396: warning: function declaration isn't a
    prototype
    isfdtype.c:9: warning: no previous prototype for `isfdtype'
    isfdtype.c: In function `isfdtype':
    isfdtype.c:10: storage size of `st' isn't known
    isfdtype.c:12: warning: implicit declaration of function `fstat'
    isfdtype.c:10: warning: unused variable `st'
    isfdtype.c:8: warning: unused parameter `fdtype'
    gmake[1]: *** [isfdtype.o] Error 1

    >Yes. I use a shell script for that. Use the path to the shell script
    >in /etc/inetd.conf instead of saned. E.g.:

    >#!/bin/sh
    >SANE_DEBUG_MUSTEK=2
    >export SANE_DEBUG_MUSTEK
    >/usr/local/sbin/saned

    I used Petters script called from inetd.conf, et voila, it started like a
    charm.. I was thinking about some kind of time-out error, but as it works
    when run from a shellscript under inetd, that is obiously not the problem.

    But: now xsane stopped working from my windows box. Even though scanimage
    works fine, xsane claims it cannot find the device, it doesn't seem to
    contact the server at all, no output is produced with SANE_DEBUG_SANEI,
    SANE_DEBUG_DLL and SANE_DEBUG_HP all set to 255

    ie:
    scanimage.exe -dserver.nrpa.no:hp:/dev/scanner
    works whereas
    xscan.exe -dserver.nrpa.no:hp:/dev/scanner
    doesn't find the scanner

    (Before anyone points out that I have forgotten the net: part, these are the
    windows application with net: 'hardwired' into them)

    Morten Sickel
    Norwegian Radiation Protection Authority