Acer 620UT USB now fails

From: Paul Nixon (pnixon18@home.com)
Date: Thu May 10 2001 - 09:13:37 PDT

    I had my Acer 620UT USB scanner working with Mandrake 7.2 (2.2.17 kernel),
    Gimp 1.1.25, and Sane1.0.4.

    I've since upgraded to kernel 2.4.1 and Gimp 1.2.1. The scanner no longer
    works. First time out the color scans looked like they'd been through a
    shredder. Gray-scale and Line Art looked okay.

    Subsequently I have recompiled Sane from scratch and the best I am able to
    say is this:

    scanimage - L
    device snapscan:usb /dev/usb/scanner0 is a Color FlatbedScanner16...
    device snapscan:COLOR is a Color FlatbedScanner16...
    device snapscan:AGFA is a Color FlatbedScanner16...

    scanimage
    scans in a perfect full color scan of about 26MB. Obviously the scanner is
    working and the backend is working.

    xscanimage
    no scanners are attached

    xsane(0.76)
    no devices found

    My question: why would scanimage be able to talk to the scanner but
    xscanimage can't?

    Would appreciate some help on this. Please ask for more info as required.

    Thanks,
    Paul Nixon