Re: SANE API & file format

From: Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@rauch-domain.de)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 14:46:44 PDT

    Stephen Williams wrote:

    > Other then that, supporting new formats should be easy and backwards
    > compatible. Just create a well-known-type "transfer-type" with the
    > default always set to TRANSFER_TYPE_SANE that acts like the existing
    > in-memory transfer.

    Hi Stephen,

    it is not a good idea to add such a hack to the currecnt sane standard.
    You can not only create a backend that uses such (more or less) "well known"
    option, you also need frontends that do handle this.
    And there is much more to take care about.
    With your suggestion a graphical frontend has to be able to
    deocde a compressed image data to create a preview from this. Or you
    will not be able to create a preview from it.

    Please do not suggest to do such wild things with the sane-1 standard.

    If I find the time I will go through all the suggestions I collected
    from the discussions about the sane-2 standard. Then we can spend
    our time and work to keep the sane-1 standard clean and define and
    implement a proper sane-2 standard.

    Bye
    Oliver

    --