Re: Microtek scanner not working anymore

From: Marcel Pol (mpol@gmx.net)
Date: Fri Apr 27 2001 - 10:23:29 PDT

    On 26-Apr-01 karsten.festag@t-online.de wrote:
    > Hm, you are right, I don't have a real good Idea. But a few thoughts:
    > - You didn't make accidentally a firmware "upgrade" on the other
    > machine (the revision was also 2.21 before)? (don't know if this
    > could happen, probably not)

    No, I didn't.

    > - Try scanning with Windows and then boot Linux without switching off
    > the scanner and the computer in between

    Well, i read that idea somewhere, but right now i can't manage to boot
    windows. My Bios really needs an upgrade to read my disk CSH, and lilo
    won't set up my windows lilo entry.

    > - Try scanning with and without backend calibration

    I believe I can set that in the backend.
    Ok, gonna try that.

    > -Try my newest backend (microtek2_200104018) at
    > http://home.t-online.de/home/karsten.festag
    > -There was a patch for scanners that hang at the same command as yours
    > now, I have to look at home after it (I'm at work now).

    Ok, I'm gonna try that one then, see if that works for me too.

    > all in all it's a little bit strange. The programs on your machine
    > (kernel, modules, SANE) were the same before and after you moved the
    > scanner around?

    It's been a while ago. I don't really depend on my scanner much.
    As far as i remember there wasn't any change.

    >> I have a few options I could try.
    >> 1. Use an old kernel, and an older version of Sane, see how that
    > works
    >> out.
    >> 2. I could Freebsd here, and see if I can get it going then.
    >> Maybe i can then get wiser about if it is sane or the kernel.
    >>
    >> The stupid thing is, when moving it to another machine it stopped
    >> working, and moving it back didn't help. So there wasn't a real
    > excuse
    >> for the scanner to stop working.
    >>
    >> Reading your answer, I assume you don't have an idea how to deal with
    > it
    >> :-)
    >> Then I guess I'm gonna have to try some of the options to see if
    > that
    >> gives anything.
    >>
    >> Greetings,
    >> Marcel Pol