HP backend slow? / Saned problems

From: Shawn D'Alimonte (sdalimon@home.com)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 21:20:40 PDT

    I am trying to use my old HP ScanJet IIp as a network scanner. I have
    it attached to an old 386/40 using the original HP SCSI card[1]. A
    lineart scan with scanimage takes over 3 minutes. Is this normal?
    When I turn on SANE_DEBUG_HP I see a lot of time spent probing the
    scanner.

    I tried 'scanimage -d net:erwin:hp:/dev/sga >junk.pbm'on another
    machine which takes about 5 minutes to do the scan (again a long pause
    at the start, then a slowish scan) but when the scan is done give an
    endless stream of 'scanimage: stopping scanner... (sig 13)'. I was
    able to scan using XSane over the network once, but it was slow and
    eventually crashed with a 'broken pipe'. Xscanimage crashed with
    'brokenpipe' during a preview.

    The machine is a generic 386SX/40 (No FPU) with 20MB RAM and a 30GB HDD
    (Network MP3 server.) running Debian potato with a 2.2.19 kernel. Sane
    1.0.4 was built from source. I have no other PCs with SCSI ports (or
    ISA slots to put the card in) so I can't try on a faster machine.

    [1] Yes, that card does work with Linux. You have to run the DOS
    driver (mini400i.sys) to configure the IO port and IRQ before Linux
    boots. I use a floppy w/ DOS, the driver, loadlin and the kernel on
    it. Read /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/README.g_5380 for configuration
    info. Give it the ncr_53c400a=1 option when loading.

    --
    Shawn D'Alimonte   sdalimon@home.com