Re: message - "device not available"

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (henning@meier-geinitz.de)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 11:44:17 PDT

    On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 02:06:56PM -0400, MRZ wrote:
    > Not exactly a dev question, but one I hope someone can still help me
    > with.
    > I'm trying to identify what resource I need to be examining
    > (read/edit/etc..) to understand why my sane scanner source is available
    > to xscanimage, but not to xsane (and by extension as a gimp plugin). I'm
    > running debian potato on kernel 2.4.3, sane 1.03 and using a plustek
    > opticpro 9636T parallel port scanner.

    To see details about what the backend is doing use

    SANE_DEBUG_PLUSTEK=255 scanimage -L
    SANE_DEBUG_PLUSTEK=255 xscanimage
    SANE_DEBUG_PLUSTEK=255 xsane

    > Simply put, xsane returns "no devices available" even when launched at
    > console; while trying xscanimage brings up a scan dialog from which I
    > can (and have!) scanned images to and saved to file.

    Be sure to read the INSTALL and PROBLEMS files (for the frontends)
    concerning the library paths in /etc/ld.so.conf.

    Another idea: Maybe xscanimage has other permissions (suid root?) then
    xsane?

    Bye,
      Henning