Re: ./configure xsane is failing?

From: Massimo Maiurana (maiurana@inwind.it)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 11:15:41 PDT

    I have a mandrake box, even if it is 7.1, and had similar problems.
    if you installed libs from rpms you need the following extra rpms:
    XFree-devel, glib-devel, gtk+-devel, gimp-devel, gimp-libgimp.
    best the latest versions. try
    ftp://ftp.math.utah.edu/pub/linux/Mandrake/current/i586/Mandrake/RPMS/
     to find them. then add usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf and do:

    ldconfig
    export PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin

    this way I have sane and xsane working fine.
    hth,
    Ciao,
    -Massimo Maiurana
    maiurana@inwind.it

    Marc Parrish wrote:

    :Greetings all:
    :
    :To whom it may be that so graciously reads further:
    :
    :<apologetic>
    :I have searched the archives, read the readme/install/problems files
    and
    :generally done as much as I could before writing to the list - out of
    respect
    :for all the good folks on here, as well as the greater community at
    large. :)
    :</apologetic>
    :
    :My system: Linux Mandrake 7.2
    :
    :What I have done so far:
    :
    :rpm -ivh both stock sane/sane-devel packages and attempted to install
    xsane
    :7.2, then 6.1, and gave up due to the failure of dependencies that I
    was also
    :not able to satisfy. So I rpm -e'd both and began to follow the
    instructions
    :for removing all sane related files (as described within the
    documentation).
    :
    :find / -name "*sane*" and rm -f as appropriate.
    :
    :Then I downloaded the latest sane-backend 1.0.4 and as root did the
    :./configure, make, make install, with no events/errors.
    :
    :Next and finally I attempted to do the same with xsane .75 while being
    :careful to do the untar, ./configure as a "normal user" specified by
    the
    :instructions (I also varied this a little bit upon failure).
    :
    :The error output I get on ./configure is the following:
    :...
    :checking for sane-config... no
    :checking for SANE - version >= 1.0.0... no
    :*** The sane-config script installed by SANE could not be found
    :*** If SANE was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
    :*** your path, or set the SANE_CONFIG environment variable to the
    :*** full path to sane-config.
    :checking for gtk-config... no
    :checking for GTK - version >= 1.2.0... no
    :*** The gtk-config script installed by GTK could not be found
    :*** If GTK was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
    :*** your path, or set the GTK_CONFIG environment variable to the
    :*** full path to gtk-config.
    :checking for gimp-config... no
    :checking for gimptool... no
    :checking for libgimp/gimp.h... no
    :checking for libgimp/gimpfeatures.h... no
    :no
    :*** Could not run GIMP test program, checking why...
    :./configure: =: command not found
    :./configure: =: command not found
    :checking for png.h... no
    :****************************************************************
    :ERROR: SANE-1.0.0 or newer is needed for compiling xsane
    : - if you installed SANE as rpm make sure you also included
    : sane-devel
    :****************************************************************
    :[mark@msp xsane-0.75]$
    :
    :However find reveals the following(???):
    :
    :[mark@msp xsane-0.75]$ find /usr/local/ -name "*sane*"
    :/usr/local/bin/sane-config
    :/usr/local/etc/sane.d
    :/usr/local/etc/sane.d/saned.conf
    :/usr/local/lib/sane
    :...
    :
    :Any help, comments, or suggestions would be extremely appreciated. :)
    :
    :Thanks so much in advance.
    :
    :And again I apologize in advance if this question has already been delt
    with
    :and I have somehow missed the documentation, but I did at least try to
    find a
    :clue before confessing that I have none. :)
    :
    :Steven (Mark's linux esquire and systems guy)
    :
    :--
    :Source code, list archive, and docs: http://www.mostang.com/sane/
    :To unsubscribe: echo unsubscribe sane-devel | mail
    majordomo@mostang.com