Re: sm3600 SANE backend in the beam

From: Marian Eichholz (marian.eichholz@freenet-ag.de)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 02:21:37 PDT

    Oliver Neukum wrote:

    > > Check out http://www.xena.uklinux.net/Linux/usb_perms.html for a quick and
    > > dirty daemon to fix the file permissions. I think that under 2.4, the
    > > hotplug capability will provide similar functionality.
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > this shows an admirable spirit, but the approach has an inherent race
    > condition. You cannot know whether the device nodes whose permissions you set
    > are still the correct ones. The risk, however, is small.
    >
    > Hotplug should somewhen in the future provide this functionality. At present
    > it has race conditions similar to those mentioned above.

    Ok, this is a point. For now, I will continue to use "goot old usbfs",
    until SANE integration is usable, and then we will switch to a kernel
    module. Or we can support both interfaces, since the API layer in the
    scanning code is very small and exchangeable, even at run time.

    Hotplugging sounds nifty. Perhaps I will get some spare time to have a
    look at it. In the meantime a "permission fixer" will have to do the
    job.

    Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Yours sincerely

    Marian Eichholz