Re: Epson Timeout with 1240U PROBLEM

From: Karl Heinz Kremer (khk@khk.net)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 14:45:45 PDT

    On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 02:04:08PM -0700, Leo McManus wrote:
    > Running SuSE 7.1 on 800MHz with 750Mb.

    The problem is you have too much memory :-) Just kidding. Unfortunatley
    "SuSE 7.1" is not sufficient anymore: SuSE now delivers two kernels with
    their system, one 2.2.18 and the other one 2.4.0.

    Do you see a difference between the two kernels?

    Please check my FAQ page at
    http://www.freecolormanagement.com/sane/faq.html
    for more information about how to patch the kernel to avoid the NAKs.

    > My /etc/sane.d/epson.conf only has:
    >
    > option connect-device
    > usb /dev/scanner0

    The "option" line does nothing for the EPSON backend.

    > I have not recompiled my kernel to include any modifications. I have downloaded
    > the latest libsane-epson.so.1.0.4 and placed it in:
    >
    > /usr/lib/sane
    >
    > What am I missing!! Will start again, but follow which seup, I have examined
    > many of them and they point to many directories that do not exist on SuSE, E.G.
    > /usr/local/etc/sane.

    The default directory for Sane is /usr/local/.... Most Linux distributions
    put it into /usr/... because it is part of the system. The /usr/local
    philosophy comes from the old day of Unix, when everything that was part
    of the orginal system went into the /usr hierarchy, and everything that
    was installed by the user on the "local" system was put under /usr/local.

    Karl Heinz