Re: Xsane build problems

From: SCC (fsanta@arrakis.es)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 22:28:57 PST

    Hi everyone.

    This is a recurring problem on the list. As a novice linux user who has
    suffered Debian and Red Hat too, *and* who has the responsibility for a small
    foto studio, I'd like to write a mini how-to on the subject, but need the
    help of the high level gurus too. My method, which has not failed yet is:

    -remove all gtk, glib, gimp, sane, xsane *packages* from your distro (5
    minutes)
    - either go to gimp.org and download gtk and glib 1.2.8 (about 1 hour and the
    rest)
    .. . . or the SuSE 7.1 rpm's already have them. Make sure that they are
    installed. Oh, and gtkdev too.
    -compile and install them in that order (about 2 hours)

    That's enough for one day.

    -compile and install it (about 2 hours for the download and install)
    -go to mostang.com and get the latest xsane
    -compile and install it (about 1/2 hour)

    Everything is now in the right place and you can scan from gimp. It gives you
    the device dialogue under >acquire. I'm sure that it is possible to link the
    /usr/bin and /usr/lib tree to the /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/lib tree and
    to your home directory but I do not know enough about Linux to be able to do
    so.

    The point I'd like to make most is the sheer time factor about all of this. I
    did not know about distros putting their stuff in /usr/ and the tarballs
    putting their stuff in /usr/local. I still cannot explain this. As a beginner
    I wanted instant results. I know now why I could not have them.

    If anyone could help me with this 'very basic know a bit about linux and want
    to use a scanner' how-to I'm sure that we could gain many more Linux artists
    too.

    One more point. My method by-passes the microsoft and os-X method of having
    to wait for the next issue for an update or fix. Once it is there in
    /usr/local it only takes 20 minutes to update. It is the getting it there in
    the first place that is the thing.

    Thanks from Steve at FeF. who has suffered photoshop on a crashintosh too
    many
    years for comfort. What a relief to get something that works!