Strange saned bug...

From: Petter Reinholdtsen (pere@hungry.com)
Date: Sat Mar 10 2001 - 07:46:37 PST

    Yesterday, I managed to get our scanner up and running as a network
    scanner. After trying to get a broken Epson SCSI scanner to work for
    a few months, we bought a new one, this time a HP SCSI. Worked right
    out of the box -- locally.

    Getting it to run in server mode was a bit harder. It refused to run
    from inetd, while it ran without problems in debug mode (saned -d)
    from the command line. The 'solution' was to make a wrapper shell
    script to redirect stderr into /dev/null:

      #!/bin/sh
      exec 2>/dev/null
      exec saned $*

    Could this be related to the fixes in the debug code, to send debug
    output to syslog if stderr is a socket? I checked the code twice, but
    could not see anything wrong -- of course, I wrote it myself...

    Redirecting stderr to a file gave me an empty file and a working
    saned. Any ideas what is going on?

    BTW: I have problems accessing mostang.com at the moment. Are there
    problems with DNS?