Very strange error

From: John Coppens (jcoppens@linux2.uccor.edu.ar)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2001 - 21:50:16 PST

    Hi all.

    I've been transferring quite a few of my old slide collection to CD, and
    I used the Snapscan 1212U at 600 dpi. It's not an ideal solution, but
    that's not what this message is about...

    At times, scanimage just hangs. Killing scanimage, then rmmod and
    insmod usb-uhci, enables the scanner again. When scanning the
    same image, it hangs at the same point. If I change the image,
    everything works again!

    So, scanimage hangs _depending on the image contents_! I couldn't
    believe it, till the error repeated itself several times. I had to turn one
    slide around to get it scanned, and another one I had to angle it
    slightly.

    I have the impression the error is most frequent if large portions of
    the image are white (compression error somewhere?) though I did
    notice the same problem with another image.

    Suggestions?

    PD: Same problem with kernel 2.2.16 with usb-uhci as with 2.4.2 and
    the newer uhci module. So I do suspect the problem to be in Scanimage.

    John