Re: Getting my scanner to work

From: Robert N. Eaton (moth28@infinet-is.com)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2001 - 15:12:03 PST

    Mark Stewart wrote:

    > Bob,
    >
    > > > login as user:
    > > > -nothing works
    > > > loging as root:
    > > > -terminal-> 'xscanimage' doesn't work
    > > > -desktop applauncher->xscanimage *does* work
    > > >
    > > > That doesn't seem right. Is it?
    > > >

    > > You have stated it succinctly: That doesn't seem right. But, it is! I
    > > have _no_ explanation nor theory, except that obviously permissions
    > > somewhere need to be reset.
    >
    > Well, even the permissions thing doesn't seem right. su'ing to root gives
    > you the permissions you need. If it doesn't there's something *deeply* wrong
    > with the system or there is a environment variable in a init file that
    > doesn't get run when you simply doesn't get run.
    >
    > About the desktop-applauncher, how is this setup? Are there additional
    > arguments being passed to xscanimage from it? There must be something
    > different there for the it work when running the same program from the
    > terminal fails.

    Here is the applauncher:

    #xscanimage.kdelnk
    #KDE Config File
    [KDE Desktop Entry]
    Name[fi]=X Scanimage
    Comment[C]=Scanner frontend
    SwallowTitle=
    SwallowExec=
    WmCommand=
    BinaryPattern=
    Name=X Scanimage
    MiniIcon=kjots.xpm
    Protocols=
    Name[C]=X Scanimage
    MimeType=
    Name[de]=X Scanimage
    Exec=/usr/X11R6/bin/xscanimage
    Icon=kcmscsi.xpm
    TerminalOptions=
    Path=
    Type=Application
    Terminal=0

    > Also, can you tell me which driver is being used?

    aic7xxx is the driver. Seems to work with SCSI_MOD.

    > I tried this morning to login directly as root and ran xscanimage (albeit
    > from a console) and got the usual hung scanner.
    >
    > Thanks very much, Bob. I'm *so* jealous of your success with nearly the same
    > equipment. Perhaps I should start looking around for a 1220S...
    >
    > ::mark

    Mark, I wish I could help you more, but if I already knew what was going
    on, I wouldn't need so much help myself ;-).

    Bob Eaton