Re: transparency scanner adapters

From: m1garandusa@netscape.net
Date: Sun Mar 18 2001 - 07:21:20 PST

    Part of the problem lies in the fact that the slide/negative is being lighted from the front as well as the back. This wreaks havok with the contrast. I've toyed with taking apart a flatbed and putting some kind of material over half of the bulb (electrical tape?) so that the slide is only backlighted. You would also want to put some kind of diffusing material immediately above the slide (like tracing paper, or idealy some opal flashed glass) to even out the illumination and hide the reflection of the insides of the scanner and the adaptor. I'd like to try this for my my medium format film, but I'm also a litle wary of taking apart a scanner of high enough quality for the work I want to do. Let me know if you try this. There is a web-page out there about building these adaptors from scratch. If I can find it, I'll post it later. I'd recommend an Epson 1200 or 1600 series with the "professional" transperancy adapter that actualy turns of the main bulb and uses its own p!
    roper back-lighting bulb. These are in the $200 and $300 range now, respectively.
    JJJ