Preview-when scanning?

From: Ian Stirling (root@mauve.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 08:35:08 PST

    Occasionally, I have to scan a long document.
    It'd be nice to be able to see an updated image of the page just
    scanned, so I can rescan the page if needed.

    A way of zooming the preview, so part of the page only was visible,
    would also be nice, as it would enable looking at page numbers, to
    make sure that a page hasn't been skipped.

    (page 264 of an 800 page book right now)

    On a similar topic, is there any simple program that corrects the
    various aberrations due to scanning a bound book?
    Such as looking for the greying as the image nears the spine, and at
    least normalising the pallette, maybe even finding the edges of the page,
    and auto-cropping.