Re: Writing Fujitsu M3091 backend

From: Tom Martone (tom@martoneconsulting.com)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 18:22:29 PST

    Greetings,

    > It does make a difference I think. If the front-end is expected to do
    > something automatically - even if it's just saving the images with
    > proper names - it would be good to know whether a certain image is
    > "another image derived from the same sheet of paper" or "a new image
    > derived from a new sheet of paper". You would probably want to assign
    > different file names.
    >
    > Of course it can be "guessed" - if the front-end knows that duplex
    > mode is on, every other image that the scanner delivers will probably
    > be a back side - but that's not exactly cool. For example I've been
    > looking at the Bell+Howell driver and saw that these scanners may
    > produce a multitude of images from one page - things like "front
    > thumbnail", "front barcode", whatever.

    I agree that it's not exactly cool. The practical way of dealing with
    it in the Bell+Howell case is that the front-end is in control of
    requesting which set of possible images can be generated from a sheet
    of paper, and the driver delivers them in a predictable, documented
    order. So a front-end program can reliably know which image is it
    working on at any time.

    > So, in "some future version" of SANE, there ought to be a mechanism by
    > which the backend can inform the front-end of the intrinsic relation-
    > ships between images it delivers.

    Agreed. For now, non-standard, xml-encoded text frames work like a charm.

    By the way, scanadf can scan only some of the documents in the hopper by
    using the --start-count and --end-count options. I think xsane has similar
    capabilities. But in my version of "real-life" these options are never
    used. The users control how many pages to scan by the size of the stack
    of sheets that they place in the hopper.

    Tom