Re: Writing Fujitsu M3091 backend

From: Frederik Ramm (frederik@remote.org)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 09:53:03 PST

       sorry if by asking a few simple questions I have revived some old
    feuds :-) I'm new to this list and don't know much about the personal,
    or "cultural", side of the SANE project but it seems quite, errr,
    interesting...

    I'll tell you what my view is on this. Call it the "user's
    perspective". I bought a scanner with ADF and duplex specifically
    because I want to scan a large amount of stuff automatically.

    I don't care for graphical front-ends because they usually involve
    something called "mouse" which tends to be difficult to automate.

    I want to put a stack of documents in the scanner, hit a button
    (preferrably on the scanner, not the computer), have a cup of tea and
    later find a bunch of files, neatly named "2001-03-01-doc1234-p2.tif"
    or such, in a directory created for that purpose. (Ideally, I'd also
    like the same file as .txt with a bit of auto-OCR thrown in but that's
    not the scope of SANE - unfortunately.)

    This is, of course, worlds away from the kind of scanning done on a
    flatbed (or rotating drum) scanner by hobbyists or professionals,
    where individual objects of different sizes are scanned, previews are
    taken, windows defined, parameters tweaked, and so on. I just want the
    stuff on my hard disk, and I might invest some time to find the best
    settings but afterwards I want it to go through 1,000 pages without
    fuss. (Yes, I know, my ADF only holds 50 pages but I didn't have the
    money for the industrial version...)

    If, every once in a while, I want to scan something using a graphical
    front-end, I will probably just insert one single sheet into the ADF.
    If the front-end, after scanning that one page, pops up a message
    saying "ADF out of documents", that's not nice but not a big deal
    either.

    > Well, I never understood, why ADF should mean: "scan all documents".
    > (even if it might be useful in some/most situations) There might be
    > persons that put 50 documents in there doc feeder and then just want
    > to scan 5 or 10, do something with the scans and then scan the next
    > 5 or 10.

    This is - pardon the expression - bullshit. Of course you're right
    "theoretically", but - in my humble opintion - these "theoretically
    right" things are exactly those that keep people from developing
    practical applications. As I said, I got the ADF to scan a lot, and to
    be honest I would prefer to define the amount of pages to be scanned
    by inserting exactly that amount into the ADF, instead of having to
    use a mouse/keyboard/whatever to tell some piece of software that,
    yes, I have put 50 documents in the scanner but would it please, for
    now, just scan the first 3 of it...

    Just my 2 cents,
    Frederik

    --