Re: HP 5100C and SANE

From: Peter Kirchgessner (peter@kirchgessner.net)
Date: Sun Feb 25 2001 - 08:07:20 PST

    Hi Adam,

    I have no experience with the ppscsi/epst modules. So I can only give
    you some hints about the hp-backend to see where the problems come from.
    The main communication with the scanner seems to work. Otherwise you
    wouldn't be able to scan a b/w image. Maybe the problems arise from the
    large amount of data that must be read back from the scanner for
    grey/color scans. To see if this is right you can try to do a grey scan
    with low resolution or just a small part of the scan area.
    If it is a problem with buffer overruns (scanner data not picked up fast
    enough), you can try to scan in the complete image into memory before
    passing to the scanimage frontend. You have to modify the hp.conf-file.
    First of all, remove the line "scsi HP". If your scanner is
    /dev/scanner, hp.conf should have

    /dev/scanner
      option enable-image-buffering

    (If you would have the line "scsi HP" in the hp.conf, the additional
    options would not be recognized).
    You can also try to change the style how the image data is read back
    from the scanner:

    /dev/scanner
      option enable-image-buffering
      option disable-scsi-request

    The image data is read back directly from the scanner without some level
    of scsi-requests.
    You can also try to modify some buffer size for the SCSI-handling.

    export SANE_SG_BUFFERSIZE=32768

    will set that buffer to 32 KB. You can try some smaller and bigger
    values too.

    I dont know if this could help to solve the problem, but you can try it.

    --Peter

    --
    Peter Kirchgessner
    http://www.kirchgessner.net