HP 5100C Scanner Problems

From: Adam Warner (mailing_lists@consulting.net.nz)
Date: Fri Feb 23 2001 - 16:44:08 PST

    Hi all,

    I purchased an old-stock but new HP 5100C at a good price because I thought it
    was well supported under Linux (according to the research I did). But I've hit
    some unexpected problems. I think the problems reside in the ppscsi and epst
    modules. However the expertise of the sane developers might help me to
    understand what is going on.

    Firstly the ppscsi/epst modules appear to have SMP issues with my Abit BP6. I
    receive CPU lockups and am no longer able to use the scanner unless I reboot
    (and even though the computer continues running a reboot/shutdown won't
    complete and a hard reset is necessary). I am now running uni-processor to try
    and isolate the other problems.

    Using scanimage I can only copy black and white.
    These are the error messages I receive when trying scanimage with the "--mode
    Color" option (or gray option):

    epst.1: Command abort not supported
    epst.1: Bus reset

    The big difference is that I am still able to use the scanner after this
    happens compared to when I am in SMP mode.

    Has anyone else seen these "Command abort" messages when trying to copy in
    colour/grey with the epst module an an HP5100C?

    I am running 2.4.2 with the 2.4.x ppscsi and epst modules.

    Thanks,
    Adam

    Here's the initialisation messages:0x378: FIFO is 16 bytes
    0x378: writeIntrThreshold is 16
    0x378: readIntrThreshold is 16
    0x378: PWord is 8 bits
    0x378: Interrupts are ISA-Pulses
    0x378: ECP port cfgA=0x10 cfgB=0x48
    0x378: ECP settings irq=7 dma=<none or set by other means>
    parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778) [PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,EPP,ECP]
    parport0: irq 7 detected
    parport0: cpp_mux: aa55f00f52ad51(07)
    parport0: Found 1 daisy-chained devices
    parport1: PC-style at 0x278 [PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP]
    parport1: cpp_daisy: aa5500ff(38)
    parport1: assign_addrs: aa5500ff(38)
    parport1: cpp_daisy: aa5500ff(38)
    parport1: assign_addrs: aa5500ff(38)
    ppSCSI 0.92 (0.92) installed
    epst.1: epst 0.92 (0.92), Shuttle EPST at 0x378 mode 2 (PS/2) dly 1 nice 0 sg
    16scsi1 : epst
      Vendor: HP Model: C5190A Rev: 3740
      Type: Processor ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Detected scsi generic sg4 at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0, type 3