Re: HP5300C - USB-problems?

From: j.steindlberger@gmx.de
Date: Sat Feb 17 2001 - 02:49:47 PST

    > > An out of memory failure during a sg device open
    > > means the kernel couldn't find 4 KB . [Sg reduces
    > > the requested reserved size buffer until the kernel
    > > gets some memory or the size is <= 4KB.] This is
    > > horrible. Sounds as if that usb-scsi patch has
    > > 'unchecked_isa_dma' set to 1 thus restricting sg to
    > > getting memory below the 16 MB level.
    > >
    > > Just checked the usb-scsi code and that is not the case.
    > > Have you any idea why there would be such a shortage
    > > of memory on your machine? If you have CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ
    > > selected in your kernel, what does Alt+SysRq+M output?
    >
    > It isn't that serious. SANE reports "Out of memory" as soon as it can't
    > get
    > the buffer it wants and possibly on other conditions. Still you should
    be
    > able to get 8K. How much RAM do you have ?
    >
    > HTH
    > Oliver

    Hi Doug, hi Oliver (and all others),

    only with the variable SANE_SG_BUFFERSIZE=32768 I can open a
    xscanimage-window. With 8k, 16k, 48k and 64k I get the "[avision] attach:
    open failed (Out of memory)"-message.

    Using the 32k the xscanimage-window opens and I can click on scan. (I
    shouldn't click preview - previewing hangs my system.) Then it seams that
    the Driver does not work well: The scanhead moves like initializing, but
    after that it doesn't start scanning. The output from xscanimage is posted
    at the bottom.

    (By the way, I have 384 MB of RAM - that shouldn't be the problem. But I
    have a very big kernel. Does that matter? If you need more data, tell me
    the "cat /proc/..." to let You know.)

    And for those who like it, here's the output from
    # export SANE_SG_BUFFERSIZE=32768
    # xscanimage >>xscan.out 2>>xscan.out
    (clicking once onto the scan-button and closing the window after a while)

    [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of avision to 10.
    [avision] sane_init: parsing config line "scsi HP"
    [avision] sane_init: config file line 1: trying to attach `scsi HP'
    [avision] attach
    [avision] attach: opening /dev/sg0
    [avision] attach: sending INQUIRY
    [avision] wait_ready: sending TEST_UNIT_READY
    [avision] attach: Inquiry gives mfg=HP , model=ScanJet 5300C ,
    product revision=6.00.
    [avision] attach: found AVISION scanner model ScanJet 5300C (flatbed
    scanner)[avision] X-Range: 203.199997mm, Y-Range: 279.399994mm
    (Raw-Range: 9, 248, 13, 179)
    [avision] RAW.Result:
    [avision] [0]:6->
    [avision] [1]:80->€
    [avision] [2]:2->
    [avision] [3]:42->B
    [avision] [4]:5b->[
    [avision] [5]:0->
    [avision] [6]:0->
    [avision] [7]:0->
    [avision] [8]:48->H
    [avision] [9]:50->P
    [avision] [10]:20->
    [avision] [11]:20->
    [avision] [12]:20->
    [avision] [13]:20->
    [avision] [14]:20->
    [avision] [15]:20->
    [avision] [16]:53->S
    [avision] [17]:63->c
    [avision] [18]:61->a
    [avision] [19]:6e->n
    [avision] [20]:4a->J
    [avision] [21]:65->e
    [avision] [22]:74->t
    [avision] [23]:20->
    [avision] [24]:35->5
    [avision] [25]:33->3
    [avision] [26]:30->0
    [avision] [27]:30->0
    [avision] [28]:43->C
    [avision] [29]:20->
    [avision] [30]:20->
    [avision] [31]:20->
    [avision] [32]:36->6
    [avision] [33]:2e->.
    [avision] [34]:30->0
    [avision] [35]:30->0
    [avision] [36]:a0->
    [avision] [37]:6->
    [avision] [38]:c->

    [avision] [39]:67->g
    [avision] [40]:4->
    [avision] [41]:b0->°
    [avision] [42]:4->
    [avision] [43]:b0->°
    [avision] [44]:9->
    [avision] [45]:60->`
    [avision] [46]:9->
    [avision] [47]:60->`
    [avision] [48]:0->
    [avision] [49]:0->
    [avision] [50]:f9->ù
    [avision] [51]:97->—
    [avision] [52]:d3->Ó
    [avision] [53]:18->?
    [avision] [54]:8->
    [avision] [55]:8->
    [avision] [56]:2->
    [avision] [57]:8->
    [avision] [58]:8->
    [avision] [59]:8->
    [avision] [60]:c0->À
    [avision] [61]:d4->Ô
    [avision] [62]:20->
    [avision] [63]:5->
    [avision] [64]:1->
    [avision] [65]:1->
    [avision] [66]:2->
    [avision] [67]:3->
    [avision] [68]:4->
    [avision] [69]:5->
    [avision] [70]:0->
    [avision] [71]:0->
    [avision] [72]:0->
    [avision] [73]:0->
    [avision] [74]:0->
    [avision] [75]:f->
    [avision] [76]:0->
    [avision] [77]:5->
    [avision] [78]:dc->Ü
    [avision] [79]:5->
    [avision] [80]:dc->Ü
    [avision] [81]:9->
    [avision] [82]:f8->ø
    [avision] [83]:d->
    [avision] [84]:b3->³
    [avision] [85]:9->
    [avision] [86]:f8->ø
    [avision] [87]:10->
    [avision] [88]:68->h
    [avision] [89]:4->
    [avision] [90]:b0->°
    [avision] [91]:3->
    [avision] [92]:4->
    [avision] [93]:c8->È
    [avision] [94]:5->
    [avision] [95]:0->
    [avision] Inquiry x/y-range is vaild?!?
    [avision] sane_get_devices
    [avision] sane_open:
    [avision] init_options
    [avision] max_string_size
    [avision] make_mode
    [avision] sane_control_option
    [avision] sane_get_option_descriptor
    [avision] sane_get_option_descriptor
    [avision] sane_control_option
    (.......)
    [avision] sane_get_option_descriptor
    [avision] sane_get_option_descriptor
    [avision] sane_start
    [avision] sane_get_parameters
    [avision] wait_ready: sending TEST_UNIT_READY
    [avision] set_windows
    [avision] set_gamma
    [avision] brightness: 0.000000, contrast: 0.000000
    [avision] use custom gamma-table
    [avision] start_scan
    [avision] sane_get_parameters
    [avision] sane_set_io_mode
    [avision] sane_get_select_fd
    [avision] reader_process
    [avision] lines_per_buffer=2, bytes_per_line=7188
    [avision] read_data
    [avision] read_data: bytes 14376
    [avision] sense_handler
    [avision] sense_handler: got unknown sense code 22
    [avision] 0:[22]
    [avision] 1:[d9]
    [avision] 2:[8a]
    [avision] 3:[41]
    [avision] 4:[22]
    [avision] 5:[d9]
    [avision] 6:[8a]
    [avision] 7:[41]
    [avision] 8:[22]
    [avision] 9:[d9]
    [avision] 10:[8a]
    [avision] 11:[41]
    [avision] 12:[5f]
    [avision] 13:[87]
    [avision] 14:[95]
    [avision] 15:[41]
    [avision] 16:[9d]
    [avision] 17:[35]
    [avision] 18:[a0]
    [avision] 19:[41]
    [avision] 20:[da]
    [avision] reader_process: read_data failed with status=9
    [avision] sane_read
    [avision] sane_read:read 0 bytes
    [avision] do_eof
    [avision] sane_get_option_descriptor