Re: System locks during scan.

From: abel deuring (adeuring@gmx.net)
Date: Thu Feb 15 2001 - 11:20:22 PST

    "Brian R. Bainter" wrote:

    > Ok, thanks to Oliver, I can now see both my scanner and my CD drives. I
    > now have a problem where when I try to make a scan, it works fine in
    > preview, but the whole system locks up when I try to make the actual
    > scan. It seems like this is probably a memory issue since the scan
    > takes more memory than the preview, but that is just my guess. It does
    > seem like I read something somewhere (can't find it now though to save
    > me) that I may need to increase the SCSI buffer size. If is the case,
    > I'm not sure exactly how to do this. Any help or suggestions as to the
    > actual problem (if I am wrong about my analysis) would be appreciated.

    Brian,

    You wrote in am earlier mail that you are using an Adaptec ISA card.
    Some older versions of the aha152x driver had problems with buffer sizes
    _larger_ than 32 kB, IIRC.

    For most backends, you can set the SCSI buffer size used by Sane with
    the environment variable SANE_SG_BUFFERSIZE. For the Mustek, NEC, PIE,
    Sharp and Umax backends, you need to set a parameter in the respective
    .conf file.

    Abel