scanimage works, but not xscanimage or xsane

From: J Sloan (jjs@toyota.com)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 00:03:08 PST

    I have an HP 5200C usb scanner, which I'm trying to use in Linux.

    I installed sane-backends 1.0.4 and sane-frontends 1.0.4, and the scanner
    is recognized by the kernel - usbview shows it, and "scanimage -L" says:

    device `hp:/dev/usb/scanner0' is a Hewlett-Packard MODELx flatbed scanner
    default device is `hp:/dev/usb/scanner0'

    I can scan an image from the command line with scanimage, but I was really
    hoping for something a bit more convenient. I can't use xscanimage or
    xsane, since they don't appear to recognize the scanner, even though
    scanimage does.

    When I run "xscanimage", it says:

    [xscanimage] No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something
              different, check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and
              detected by the find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read
              the documentation which came with this software (README, FAQ,
              manpages).

    When I run "xscanimage hp:/dev/usb/scanner0" the dialog box says:

    "Failed to open "hp:/dev/usb/scanner0": Device Busy"

    I get similar results from xsane-0.71.

    However, I found an alpha release of something called "quiteinsane",
    which, though it has some rough edges, happily detects and uses the
    scanner.

    I'd love to know what's wrong with xscanimage and xsane, however.

    Any clues?

    jjs