Re: Getting compressed B/W image data from Fujitsu M3096GXm scann er

From: Peck Dickens (peck_d@bellsouth.net)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 22:31:46 PST

    On Mon, 05 Feb 2001, you scribbled:

    > We get two or three people a year looking for G3 or JPEG in SANE, versus
    > two a week wanting support for obscure $50 parport scanners. The result
    > is that not a lot of work is getting done on SANE 2.0, although I did
    > finally complete my transfer mini-thesis so I might have more time now.
    >
    > Nick.

    I agree that as far as the masses are concerned, most users of sane employ
    inexpensive scanners... ie: parport and usb varieties. With that said, how many
    members of this list lurk in the background (Like me) who work with higher end
    scanners (I have no idea how many members that equates to...)? Some of these
    scanners aquire at ungodly rates: In excess of 350ppm.

    I do know this: If SANE had features built into it that supported business
    centric document aquisition technologies, I would be running Linux as opposed
    to AIX for document aquisition. Be advised that I am not asking the community
    at large to write code soley for me or the organization I work for. What I am
    asking the community to do is think about it... How many people that work as
    sys admins or programmers at companies who use document aquisition and
    retrieval systems visit the SANE homepage hoping to find that SANE has a fit in
    thier organization?

    Currently, I am (When I have the time) working on a Fujistu SP10 backend using
    as a model the code that was written for the SP15. No, this is not high end,
    but it can be used for very low volume document aquisition at 10 ppm. IMHO, a
    great deal of the ultimate future of SANE relies on corporate embracement. All
    computer products do (With the possible exception of the gaming sector). As is
    obvious, I would like to see more support for higher end scanners and thereby
    see SANE embraced by the corporate world.

    Note: The reality is that thier are only a handful of companies who provide
    apps capable of supporting hardware like this. It would be *great* if SANE were
    a competitor.

     --
    Best

    M. Peck Dickens

    System stats: 6:24pm up 4 days, 2:39, 4 users, load average: 1.72, 2.05, 1.91