Re: Setting up HP ScanJet 5P on Solaris 8 SPARC

From: Gregory Gulik (greg@gulik.org)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 15:29:49 PST

    Joern Clausen wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > > # scanimage -d hp:/dev/scg0
    > ^^^
    >
    > You have to specify the SCSI id as a letter. If your scanner has
    > id 2, use "/dev/scg0c". This is documented in README.solaris.

    That could be the problem, those devices with the letters never appeared:

    # ls /dev/scg*
    /dev/scg0 /dev/scg1

    Since the scanner is SCSI id 2 on the first SCSI bus I assume the device
    should be /dev/scg0c, but still nothing:

    # scanimage -d hp:/dev/scg0c
    [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of hp to 16.
    [hp] init called
    [hp] hp_read_config: hp backend v0.88 starts reading config file
    [hp] hp_device_info_get: device /dev/scg0c not configured. Using default
    [hp] hp_get_dev: New device /dev/scg0c, connect-scsi, scsi-request=0
    [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of sanei_scsi to 16.
    [sanei_scsi] sanei_scsi_open: open of `/dev/scg0c' failed: No such file or
    directory
    [hp] scsi_new: open failed (Invalid argument)
    [hp] /dev/scg0c: Can't open scsi device
    scanimage: open of device hp:/dev/scg0c failed: Invalid argument
    [hp] exit called

    Just for kicks and grins I tried the other SCSI bus in case the numbering
    isn't consistent with other SCSI utlities:

    # scanimage -d hp:/dev/scg1c
    [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of hp to 16.
    [hp] init called
    [hp] hp_read_config: hp backend v0.88 starts reading config file
    [hp] hp_device_info_get: device /dev/scg1c not configured. Using default
    [hp] hp_get_dev: New device /dev/scg1c, connect-scsi, scsi-request=0
    [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of sanei_scsi to 16.
    [sanei_scsi] sanei_scsi_open: open of `/dev/scg1c' failed: No such file or
    directory
    [hp] scsi_new: open failed (Invalid argument)
    [hp] /dev/scg1c: Can't open scsi device
    scanimage: open of device hp:/dev/scg1c failed: Invalid argument
    [hp] exit called

    --
    Greg Gulik                                 http://www.drivingevents.com/
    greg@gulik.org or greg@gagme.com           http://www.gagme.com/~greg/