Re: Getting compressed B/W image data from Fujitsu M3096GXm scanner

From: Tom Martone (tom@martoneconsulting.com)
Date: Fri Feb 02 2001 - 17:26:22 PST

    Greetings,

    Armistead, Jason wrote:

    > I would have thought that some of the top-end high volume
    > scanners like Bell & Howell would surely support on-board compression, and
    > that someone, somewhere might have added them to SANE.

    The Bell & Howell Copiscan II series does support several compressed
    formats (CCITT G3, CCITT G3-2D, CCITT G4) and the SANE driver sane-bh
    supports these. To fully utilize the compressed formats, a patch to
    sane.h is necessary which adds several new frametypes.

        /* optional frames */
        SANE_FRAME_TEXT = 10, /* Human readable text non-image data */
        SANE_FRAME_JPEG = 11, /* JPEG compressed image */
        SANE_FRAME_G31D = 12, /* Group 3 1D compressed image */
        SANE_FRAME_G32D = 13, /* Group 3 2D compressed image */
        SANE_FRAME_G42D = 14 /* Group 4 2D compressed image */

    Compressed formats are not supported in the current SANE standard,
    and are to be addressed in the next major version of SANE. Unofficially,
    and non-standardly, I guess, a simple addition of a few enumeration
    values and a cooperating front and back end is all you would need
    to get this going on your compression-enabled scanner.

    Happy scanning,
    Tom