Re: Setting up HP ScanJet 5P on Solaris 8 SPARC

From: Gregory Gulik (greg@gulik.org)
Date: Thu Feb 01 2001 - 23:07:05 PST

    Hi all,

    I'm still struggling with getting scanimage to work on my Solaris 8
    SPARC system. I installed both the SG and SCG generic SCSI packages.

    I wasn't able to get anywhere with the SG-lite package I've been using
    successfully with this scanner with the xvscan program so I'm now
    trying to get it working with Joerg Schilling's SCG package.

    The following devices now exist:
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root other 41 Feb 1 19:59 @/dev/scg0 ->
    ../devices/pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@1/scg@0,0:
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root other 43 Feb 1 19:59 @/dev/scg1 ->
    ../devices/pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@1,1/scg@0,0:

    I tried scanimage -d hp:/dev/scg0 as root (to make sure it's not
    a weird permissions problem) and it's doing this (with SANE_DEBUG_HP=16)

    # scanimage -d hp:/dev/scg0
    [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of hp to 16.
    [hp] init called
    [hp] hp_read_config: hp backend v0.88 starts reading config file
    [hp] hp_device_info_get: device /dev/scg0 not configured. Using default
    [hp] hp_get_dev: New device /dev/scg0, connect-scsi, scsi-request=0
    [hp] scsi_inquire: sending INQUIRE
    [hp] scsi_inquire: inquiry failed: Operation not supported
    [hp] /dev/scg0: Can't open scsi device
    scanimage: open of device hp:/dev/scg0 failed: Invalid argument
    [hp] exit called

    Any other ideas???

    --
    Greg Gulik                                 http://www.drivingevents.com/