Re: Problems with KYE ColorPage-HR5+DTC3181LE+Kernel 2.4.0

From: abel deuring (a.deuring@satzbau-gmbh.de)
Date: Wed Jan 31 2001 - 10:58:25 PST

    "Patricio Díaz G." wrote:

    > I am using RedHat Linux 7 and the g_NCR5380 driver as a module,
    > the kernel recognices the SCSI card and my scanner, but when I try to
    > scan something (Ej.: scannimage -d umax:/dev/scanner >pat.pnm) the
    > indicator light that is in front of the scanner turns off, like if it
    > will start scanning, but the head with the lamp doesn´t moves, and the
    > program hangs the system.
    >
    > I have readed about problems and solutions about the SCSI card
    > DTC3181x, but of owners of UMAX or PLUSTEK scanners, and they doesn´t
    > seems to have problems to scan, I think that is something betwen my
    > scanner and the backend.
    >
    > Can anybody with the most close combination of scanner and
    > software tell me how the h... to get working them.
    >
    > If it helps, my motherboard is an Asus P5A-B with Chipset ALI
    > Aladyn (ALI-154x), 128 Mb RAM.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Patricio

    Patricio,

    If you compiled Sane using the SG header files from the 2.4.0 kernel,
    you problem may be related to a bug in sanei/sanei_scsi.c:

    Near line 1900 in this file you'll find:

          req->sgdata.sg3.hdr.timeout = 10000;

    This should be changed to:

          req->sgdata.sg3.hdr.timeout = 1000 * 60 * 10;

    Without this patch, a SCSI command must be finished within 10 seconds;
    the patch increases the time to 10 minutes, the same value as used by
    Sane for older versions of the Linux kernel.

    Abel