Re: FireWire (i.Link / 1394) support?

From: Karl Heinz Kremer (khk@khk.net)
Date: Sun Jan 28 2001 - 08:12:19 PST

    On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 10:00:48AM -0500, Douglas Gilbert wrote:
    > Allan Engelhardt wrote:
    > >
    > > Couldn't find anything in the archives ot the FAQ, so here goes:
    > >
    > > Has anybody been looking at support for the FireWire (a.k.a. i.Link, a.k.a. i1394) bus, now that it is supported (-ish) in the 2.4 Linux kernel?
    > >
    > > There are a copule of neat scanners with this interface that I'd like to use.
    >
    > Allan,
    > If the scanners use the SBP-2 protocol (i.e. scsi command
    > set) over 1394 then there is a driver in beta test written
    > by James Goodwin at:
    > http://firewire.zawa.com/sbp2/
    >
    > He mentions that it has been tested on a Epson 1394 scanner.

    Not quite correct: First of all it was an EPSON Expression 1600
    scanner and James has no first hand experience with this scanner -
    I have one here running with the IEEE1394 interface, and it was
    me who fixed the SBP-2 driver to allow for the EPSON scanner to
    work. EPSON is not doing anything special, so I would guess that
    ever other scanner with an IEEE-1394 interface would also work
    as long as SANE supports the SCSI version of the scanner.

    Karl Heinz