Re: scanning to cd-rom

From: Adam Tauno Williams (awilliam@whitemice.org)
Date: Sun Jan 21 2001 - 13:12:23 PST

    >Yes, it is the here today gone tomorrow fear with digital stuff that I'm most
    >worried about. I can rephotograph the stuff on conventional film and keep it
    >alive that way. I suppose that the muliple copies idea is the only way of doing
    >it safely. It was only recently that I thought about the long term issues of
    >digital archiving and its problems. I have around a hundred 10 x 8 inch sepia
    >copies from the first half of last century and they are very delicate. Sane
    >does really well in copying the sepia tone as a colour scan so I'm initially
    >going to scan them that way. Has anyone tackled a similar project?
    >Thanks and I hope that this is not too much off topic, Steve.

    At the current costs of hard drives is it unfeasible to maintain "online" archives that get backed up using ordinary means? Modern magnetic tape (something like 4mm) has a very long sheld life and is very inexpensive. If copies of online data are stored off site periodically it would seem the data is almost indesctructable.