Backend for BearPaw 2400

From: Slawek Kolasinski (slawu@sus.univ.szczecin.pl)
Date: Fri Jan 19 2001 - 12:29:00 PST

    Hi!
       I would like to write a backend for Mustek BearPaw 2400 on USB - if no one else is already
    working on it. Well I don't have any experience in writing device drivers or anything like this but
    I think I can learn (there always has to be that first time). Anyway I would appriciate any help.

       I read some docs and I also looked through some backends sources. I can't understand one thing.
    How can I send some configuration data to my scanner using only the special file /dev/usb/scanner0?
    I mean that my scanner has 127 registers and I have to choose somehow which register I want to
    read/write. I figured out that ESCape (0x1B) character has samoe special meaning because it's always
    sent as the first byte - how does it work? Could someone answer me? Where can I find some docs/specs
    on this?

       Forgive me my lameness, but I'm only a beginner.

    Slawek