Setting up HP ScanJet 5P on Solaris 8 SPARC

From: Gregory Gulik (greg@gulik.org)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2001 - 10:22:10 PST

    I just downloaded sane 1.0.3 and I'm trying to get it to run on
    a Solaris 8 SPARC system running with the 32 bit kernel. The scanner
    used is an HP ScanJet 5P attached over SCSI on SCSI id 2 on the secondary
    SCSI bus.

    I also have the commercial SG generic SCSI drivers installed. They only
    work with the 32 bit kernel. Those came as part of the XVSCAN program
    which I've been using quite successfully for a couple years now. The
    SG package creates device links in /dev/sg and the one for the scanner
    happens to be /dev/sg/10. I also have a symlink /dev/scanjet that points
    to that for easier reference.

    When I try to run scanimage it says "scanimage: no SANE devices found"
    I configured my sane.d/hp.conf file to read:
    scsi HP
    /dev/scanjet

    I also tried the /dev/sg/10 instead of /dev/scanjet with no change.

    I've read all the docs I could find and I can't figure out what I'm
    missing. Please help!

    --
    Gregory Gulik                        NEW!  http://www.drivingevents.com/
    greg@gulik.org or greg@gagme.com           http://www.gagme.com/~greg/