Re: help - hp 5300c

From: Scott Gifford (sgifford@tir.com)
Date: Thu Jan 11 2001 - 21:46:06 PST

    Rene Rebe <rene.rebe@gmx.net> writes:

    > Hi!
    >
    > Scott Gifford <sgifford@tir.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Andrew Williams <andrew@nightshade.demon.co.uk> writes:
    > >
    > > > I've followed all the instructions and the mini howto to get the HP
    > > > 5300C working under Linux. I've patched both the kernel and the sane
    > > > avision backend. I can see the &%$!! scanner on /proc/bus/usb/devices.
    > > > I've set the buffer size to 32k. It doesn't work!
    > >
    > > scanimage was able to recognized my 5300C with ide-scsi working, but
    > > not unless I bumped down the buffer size to 8k or 16k. You might want
    > > to try that.
    >
    > Did you get usable images from your 5300C ?? - The people I have email
    > coversations don't get usable scans. They get heavy striped or total
    > random pixel images. ... :-((((
    >
    > Any ideas?

      No, I never did purely under Linux. I always get the heavy striped.
    I am able to get good scans, but only if I first plug it into a
    Windows machine, use it there for a scan, then plug it back into my
    Linux machine without powering it off. After I power it off, I get
    stripes again.

      The only suggestion I got was to do some USB-sniffing to figure out
    what the differences were, and unfortunately I don't have time to do
    that right now.

      I've arranged to return mine to Dell. :(

      Has anybody besides Jeremy gotten this to work? And Jeremy, if you
    unplug your scanner, wait a few minutes, and plug it back in, does it
    work? Mine worked fine for nearly a week before the power went out,
    and it had to used once under Windows again.

    -----ScottG.