SANE and Linux kernel 2.4.0

From: Douglas Gilbert (dgilbert@interlog.com)
Date: Tue Jan 09 2001 - 13:03:36 PST

    Tim Waugh wrote on the linux kernel list:
    > I'm having problems with using xsane to acquire a preview from an HP
    > ScanJet 5P connected to an AHA-2940. 2.3.42 is the last kernel that
    > works right for me.
    >
    > The symptom is that the scanner starts to make scanning sounds, then
    > stops, and xsane says 'Error during read: Error during device I/O'.

    Tim and I have been looking at this offline. The significance
    of lk 2.3.43 was the addition of a new sg driver that has an
    additional interface. Recent versions of SANE use that newer
    sg interface. The problem that Tim reported seemed to be caused
    by timeouts ** resulting in scsi bus resets. Anyway the problem
    seems to disappear with the recently released SANE 1.0.4 .
    [The original report was based on SANE 1.0.3 and earlier.]

    There is also a problem report with the SnapScan 1236 <--> aha152x
    combination also based on SANE 1.0.3 . This one is looking
    like an "uninitialized errno" bug fixed in SANE 1.0.4 .

    ** SANE's newer sg interface shortens the per command timeout
    from 10 minutes to 10 seconds. Most other OSes have a timeout
    value of 1 minute or more. I suspect 10 seconds may be too short.

    Doug Gilbert