Re: problems with network scanning

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (hmg-ml@gmx.de)
Date: Sun Jan 07 2001 - 03:19:35 PST

    On Sat, Jan 06, 2001 at 06:51:07PM -0500, Damon McGraw wrote:
    > I'm having trouble setting up SANE to work over my LAN. Actually the
    > problem seems to be in the running of saned. I am unable to connect
    > when saned is set to run from inetd, but when I run it by hand ("saned
    > -d") I am able to connect and scan until the connection is terminated
    > and saned exits.

    Please send the saned line in inetd.conf. Any messages from saned in
    /var/log/daemon.log?

    > If I try running without the debug flag ("saned") I'm also unable to
    > connect.

    That's correct. Without "-d" saned is in inetd mode and waits for
    input from stdin.

    > I am running on debian potato with the sane packages provided by that
    > distribution (I believe it is version 1.0.1).

    Oh, this is ancient. There were bugs in saned, one of them haven't
    been fixed until recently. But I don't remeber that there were bugs in
    the process of connecting. If everything else fails, try updating.
    There is a newer (1.0.3) package for Debian, but I don't know if it
    works for Potatoe.

    Bye,
      Henning