Re: Configure not finding SANE

From: David McCormick (dmccormi@shentel.net)
Date: Thu Jan 04 2001 - 18:39:41 PST

    Doug X wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > I just updated to sane 1.0.4 and I have got stuck in configuring the frontends. The sane-frontends-1.0.4/configure script won't find the freshly installed sane.
    >
    > System info
    > Mandrake 7.2
    > linux 2.2.17
    > 128MB
    > P1 200mmx
    >
    > What I did was as user,
    > cd sane-backends-1.0.4
    > ./configure
    > make
    > su
    > make install
    > exit
    > cd ../sane-frontends-1.0.4
    > ./configure
    >
    > and then it ...
    >
    > [doug@heavenbound sane-frontends-1.0.4]$ script
    > Script started, file is typescript
    > [doug@heavenbound sane-frontends-1.0.4]$ ./configure
    > creating cache ./config.cache
    > checking whether GIMP plugin is requested... yes
    > checking for gcc... gcc
    > checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) works... yes
    > checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) is a cross-compiler... no
    > checking whether we are using GNU C... yes
    > checking for AIX... no
    > checking for minix/config.h... no
    > checking for POSIXized ISC... no
    > checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... no
    > checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
    > checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
    > checking whether gcc needs -traditional... no
    > checking for ANSI C header files... yes
    > checking for fcntl.h... yes
    > checking for unistd.h... yes
    > checking for libc.h... no
    > checking for sys/time.h... yes
    > checking for sys/types.h... yes
    > checking for working const... yes
    > checking for inline... inline
    > checking return type of signal handlers... void
    > checking for size_t... yes
    > checking for pid_t... yes
    > checking for ssize_t... yes
    > checking for u_char... yes
    > checking for u_int... yes
    > checking for u_long... yes
    > checking for sqrt in -lm... yes
    > checking for working alloca.h... yes
    > checking for alloca... yes
    > checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
    > checking for getpagesize... yes
    > checking for working mmap... yes
    > checking for atexit... yes
    > checking for mkdir... yes
    > checking for sigprocmask... yes
    > checking for strdup... yes
    > checking for strndup... yes
    > checking for strftime... yes
    > checking for strstr... yes
    > checking for strsep... yes
    > checking for strtod... yes
    > checking for snprintf... yes
    > checking for usleep... yes
    > checking for strcasecmp... yes
    > checking for strncasecmp... yes
    > checking for sane-config... /usr/local/bin/sane-config
    > checking for SANE - version >= 1.0.0... no
    > *** Could not run SANE test program, checking why...
> [...]
    I had the same problem and this is how I got it to work for mw.

    I removed the sane-frontends-1.0.4 and sane-backends-1.0.4 using rm -rf
    /dir/file.
    I then unntarred the backend file changed directory to
    /sane-backends-1.0.4
    I did ./configure.
    Then make clean ( I can't get distclean to work I always get command not
    found when I try it.)
    then make, then make install

    I then untarred sane-frontends-1.0.4
     changed directory to /sane-frontends-1.0.4
    ./configure
    make clean
    make
    make install

    It worked!
    I am using Red Hat 6.2 on an P III system. I don't know if this will
    work on another Distribution or not. I did have to remove the sane-
    files before I reinstalled them It didn't work until I did.

    Hope it helps you.

    David McCormick