problem installing sane

From: Jack and Julie Saba (saba@ari.net)
Date: Tue Jan 02 2001 - 15:04:43 PST

    I am running Linux Mandrake 7.1. I have an HP 6300C USB
    scanner, which I still haven't gotten recognized by the
    system (I mention this in case it relates to the SANE
    problem). At present I am having trouble installing sane.

        a. I downloaded the tarballs for sane-backends-1.0.4 and
    sane-frontends-1.0.4 and unpacked them.

        b. I ran .configure, make, and make install in the
    sane-backends-1.0.4 directory. Everything seemed to run OK
    with the default configuration. I did not make any manual
    changes to the makefile. There is no entry for
    /usr/local/lib in /etc/ld.so.conf, as appropriate for sane
    versions > 1.01.

        c. I switched to the sane-frontends-1.0.4 directory and
    ran .configure. Got error message:

    checking for SANE - version >= 1.0.0... no
    *** Could not run SANE test program, checking why...
    ERROR: SANE is needed for compiling sane-frontends
                - if you installed SANE as rpm make sure you
    also included sane-devel

    I assume the appropriate files should have been installed in
    step b, so what do I have to do to fix this problem?

    Jack Saba

    --
    Jack and Julie Saba
    saba@ari.net