Re: HP PhotoSmart S20

From: Peter Kirchgessner (peter@kirchgessner.net)
Date: Sun Dec 31 2000 - 07:55:44 PST

    Hi Monty,

    this is not easy. You will get no documentation for the S20 from HP. And
    it seems that it is not compatible to some other scanner. You only could
    reverse engineer the Windows driver or have a look at the USB protocols
    generated by some USB spy software. And you have to build a backend from
    scratch (or use the ppm-backend as example). And your scanner may crash
    during your tests.
    But it could be fun. I suppose other backends have been written this way
    too.

    Happy new year.

    --Peter

    Monty Taylor wrote:

    > Hello,
    > Is anyone working on a backend for the HP PhotoSmart S20 USB? If not,
    > (or if so) could someone point me in the right direction so I could work
    > on one? (or help out) I'm scanning negatives on my wife's windows
    > machine right now and it's driving me NUTS!
    >
    > Thanks for the help...
    > Monty

    Peter Kirchgessner
    http://www.kirchgessner.net