Re: Compile problems (and fixes) for 1.0.4

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (hmg-ml@gmx.de)
Date: Thu Dec 28 2000 - 02:29:08 PST

    On Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 09:11:34PM -0500, Derrell Lipman wrote:
    > On RedHat 7.0, the LIBS line in sane-config must contain -ldl or the
    > sane-frontends-1.0.4 and xsane-0.68 installations fail.

    Why? libsane.so should be linked with -ldl so this shouldn't be
    necessary. Could you do a "ldd /usr/local/lib/libsane.so"?
    Could you also send the output of configure (after make distclean) of
    sane-backends?

    Are you sure that you don't have old versions of sane somewhere in
    different directories? Did you run "ldconfig"?

    > - sane-frontends-1.0.4 would not install.

    I'm surprised because you are the only one who seems to have this
    problem. I couldn't test Redhat but on Debian and SuSE (and some
    non-Linux systems) it compiled out of the box.

    > The first problem was the
    > sane-config issue discussed above. Secondly, two makefiles needs to
    > be modified (they appear to have some local munging that didn't get
    > removed before the release).

    I don't think so. There is no src/Makefile and doc/Makefile in the
    distribution. They are generated by configure from their .in files:
    INSTALL = @INSTALL@

    Could you send the output of configure of sane-frontends, too? Did you
    set the environment variable "INSTALL"?

    Bye,
      Henning