Re: sane-pre1-1.0.4 available

From: Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 16:40:55 PST

    Eugene Kanter wrote:

    > On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Oliver Rauch wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Eugene,
    > >
    > > it's me who cared about the frontends.
    > >
    > > You can not compile sane-frontends without sane-backends.
    > > It is the same as if you would like to compile gimp without gtk.
    > > You need a sane-backend library to run a sane frontend.
    > >
    > The gtk is a little bit more whidespread though.
    >
    > Could you or someone make a change in configure so it can look at
    > ../sane-backends for the needed libraries if ones are not installed on the
    > system?

    Hi Eugene,

    I don`t think that we get on the right way if we do so.
    If we do this, all other sane frontends like xsane, Star-Office etc
    would need the same things.

    In fact sane-backends is compareable to gtk and
    sane-frontends, xsane, scanadf, Staroffice (and other sane frontends)
    are comparable to programs that use gtk. Of course you are right that
    gtk is a bit more widespread, but that is not a reason to handle them
    in a different way.

    > However if frontends is going to be a completely different application
    > with different relese cycle then we can just impose a requirement in rpm
    > spec file. Currently red hat .spec file has a requirement for tetex-latex
    > (for make ps -C doc).

    I don't know anything about the .spec things.
    Are they common for all distributions or is this a read had topic?
    Does only sane-frontends need a .spec file? how did the one for
    sane-1.0.3 look like?

    > Since sane has been split now what names should be used for appropriate
    > RPM (and debian) packages?
    I suggest to use the names of the packages we use:
    sane-backends and sane-frontends

    Bye
    Oliver

    --