Agfa SnapScan 1212U problems

From: Heikki Kantola (hkantola+sane@cc.helsinki.fi)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 14:22:09 PST

    After some fight I've finally managed to get my cheap Agfa SnapScan
    1212U to do something resembling scanning under Linux. Unfortunately
    the images I'm getting are unusable: the xscanimage preview window
    shows image consisting misaligned (picture being scanned moving left),
    quite wide (centimeter or so) stripes. When turning on debug info, I
    can get following when starting xscanimage:

     [snapscan] sane_snapscan_open: performing scanner self test.
     [snapscan] sane_snapscan_open: self test passed.
     [snapscan] sane_snapscan_control_option: internal error: given
     illegal halftone pattern string "Halftoning Unsupported"
     [snapscan] Scanner sense: No sense.
     [snapscan] sane_snapscan_start: starting the reader process.
     [snapscan] NOT doing an inquiry to get scanner parameters
     [snapscan] (undef): Hung up because expected bytes is 0. Please
     report![snapscan] sane_snapscan_set_io_mode: turning nonblocking mode
     ON.

    I've compiled SANE from the Debian source package (version 1.0.3-4)
    with SnapScan backend updated from CVS on SourceForge. Uploaded firm-
    ware is dated "Mon Jul 12 1999 19:00" and I'm running kernel version
    2.2.18pre24 on this Debian "woody" (aka unstable) system.

    --
      *  H e i k k i   K a n t o l a  *  | Report all instances that you see
       IRC: Hezu                         | of spam abuse. Civilized people need