Re: SuSE 7.0 and scanners

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (hmg-ml@gmx.de)
Date: Sat Dec 09 2000 - 10:45:02 PST

    On Sat, Dec 09, 2000 at 12:42:52PM -0500, kate@kens.com wrote:
    > Having exhausted the few solutions I found (that were within my minimal
    > capabilities) to resolve the I/O error I am getting trying to run a
    > Microtek E3 on SuSE 7.0, I am about ready to toss it out the window and
    > buy something that will work.

    As I never got a response from you (e.g. about any messages in
    syslog): Are you really sure that the source of your problem is the
    scanner and not the SCSI controller/driver/cables? I have seen SCSI
    configurations with too long cables and no termination working with
    Windows (with only the standard rate of crashes) and breaking
    immediately under Linux. Any way to test the scanner with another SCSI
    controller? I just want to make sure that you don't buy a new scanner
    and then find out that it was a problem with the SCSI controller.

    Nobody (but me) could look at the debugging output because it is still
    unreadable (No such file ...).

    > Any suggestions from the floor for an affordably priced scanner, that is
    > likely to *actually* work with this distro? I'm interested in hearing from
    > someone who actually has one working.

    All the Mustek scanners on http://hmg.home.pages.de/sane/scanners.html
    work to the degree noted there. The scanners marked by a star (*) were
    tested by me. However, you need a current backend for these scanners.
    SANE 1.0.4 will be out soon, so this shouldn't be a problem.
    No guarantees, but they work for me.

    > Not working as in "recompile sane
    > without some patch, first" working, but plug it in and follow the
    > directions working.

    SuSE 7.0 comes with the old SANE 1.0.2 drivers. If you really want to
    use them please don't use Mustek scanners, there were quite some bugs
    in 1.0.2 concerning Mustek scanners. I don't know why they don't
    update to at least 1.0.3.

    > Spare me the suggestion to read the documentation,
    > please. I have found on three occassions now, that what is listed for
    > linux under the documentation would not work, or did not work reliably.
    > (one modem, one video card, and now this.)

    Ok, in this case I won't point to the list of scanners supported by
    SANE 1.0.2 somewhere at http://www.mostang.com/sane/ .

    Bye,
      Henning