Newbie can't find his Astra 1220S (Beige G3)

From: Jerry Fritschle (jerryfritschle@mac.com)
Date: Mon Nov 20 2000 - 14:20:52 PST

    I am a newcomer both to SANE, and Linux (LinuxPPC2000) in general..
    SANE 1.0.3 appeared to compile and install alright, but I get "no SANE
    devices found" when I run scanimage.

    cat /proc/scsi/scsi shows the scanner as it should (scsi0, id 5), and
    the scanner is also recognized during boot.

    In /usr/local/etc/sane.d/umax.conf, I have
    scsi0 UMAX * Scanner * * * * *
    /dev/sge
    /dev/scanner

    (I've also tried just-plain-'scsi')

    I've slogged through the FAQ as best I can before posting (getting a
    little bleary-eyed). Any help would be appreciated.

    TIA

    Jerry Fritschle